An armoured but pacific dinosaur.
The pelvis bones of this herbivorous dinosaur are almost complete. There are several other bones of this species, whose length was about 7 m, exposed in the exhibition room. This species lived during the Upper Jurassic (about 150 million years ago) in the Lourinhã – Peniche – Caldas da Rainha region.
This specimen was discovered in 1945, near Foz do Arelho beach, and its study was published in the “Memórias dos Serviços Geológicos de Portugal” (n°.2, 1957). A systematic revision made recently gave it a new scientific name: Dacentrurus lennieri (Nopcsa).