1. A Riqueza da Indústria Extractiva Metropolitana.
Fernando Soares Carneiro (152 pages)
Abstract: The purpose of this paper is to call the attention to the dificult position of most of the Portuguese mines, and to try and give an idea of their importance and show some of the solutions that may minimize the defects of the mining industry.
It begins by the summarised in the past, giving figures and graphics related with the production and annual value over 1 milion contos – 1 conto = 1000 escudos – was attained). Attention is called to the great importance of the mining production in the national economy, which during various years constitued one of the main values of your exportation (main products of the exportation, of variable hegemony:canned goods, Port wine, minerals and cork). We then try to give an idea of the actual position of the industry, studying, very summarised, several minerals and rocks.
The history of the production during the last 20 years is given; the mines and quarries with bigger production during the last 10 years are indicated. The following were studied: wolfram, tin, sulphur and copper (copper pyrites), coal, gold, iron, lead, manganese, kaolin, tentalum and niobium, berilium, and zinc deposits; slate, marble and granite formations.
In another chapter, the problem of the markets of the same minerals and rocks is dealt with. Though taking into consideration the extreme complexity and change of the markets, we tried to give elements with regards to the evolution in the near future.
The paper ends with a summarised economical study of the exploitation, giving suggestions for the possible lowering of the cost of the production on a compatible level with the possibilities of the majority of your mines, of big global importance but of modest individual values.
2. Estudo Mineralógico dos Caulinos da Senhora da Hora (Porto).
J. M. Correia Neves ; Orlando da Cruz Gaspar (14 pages)
Abstract: We have studied the Kaolin from Senhora da Hora both optically, roentgenographicaly, chemically and termo-analiticaly. The analysis of the experimental data made it possible to come to the following conclusions:
- 1 – The mineralogical quantitative of the kaolins BA-120, BA-220 and BE is practicaly the same. If a suspension of gross kaolin is obtained, the quantitative composition in it differs very little from the other samples. The kaolinite is approximately 3/4 of the kaolins and the sericite about 1/4.
- 2 – In the CB kaolin suspension there is a percentage of quartz of about 3% and in BA-120 kaolin this lower down to 1%. In the others, we did not identify the quartz.
- 3 – The presence of iron or aluminium hydroxides in the composition of kaolins from Senhora da Hora was not confirmed in the researches carried out.
- 4 – For the presence of CO2 in the chemical analysis of BE kaolin we did not find any point corresponding to minerals, in the X-ray diagram, proving that CO2, would be the integral part.
3. Relatório do Serviço de Fomento Mineiro do Ano de 1957.
J. L. Guimarães dos Santos (60 pages)
4. Topázio com Germânio de Gonçalo (Guarda).
J. M. Correia Neves (8 pages)
Abstract: Estudámos um Topázio de Gonçalo (Guarda), com cerca de 200 gramas de Ge por tonelada. Este valor encontrou-se espectrograficamente. Apresenta-se o estudo roentgenográfico e químico do mesmo mineral.
Phone: + 351 210 924 635