SERVICE LIFE OF KEY COMPONENTS FOR SOLAR THERMAL ENERGY APPLICATIONS (Project POCI-01-0145-FEDER-016709 FCT (PTDC/EMS-ENE/0578/2014))
Solar thermal collectors (STC) are the main component of solar thermal systems for production of hot water for applications such as swimming pools, sanitary hot water (domestic hot water) or hot water for industrial processes with working temperatures from 20-95ºC, as well as, solar thermal systems delivering thermal power for industrial application at medium temperature (95ºC-250ºC).
The present proposal will focus on aspects of lifetime evaluation of the key components of collectors for low and medium temperature which are absorbers, reflectors and seals.
The objectives of the project are:
- Establish the correlation of degradation mechanisms of key components of STC from natural exposure and accelerated aging tests;
- Development and validation of accelerated aging test methods for qualification of the key components;
- Assessment of service life of absorbers, reflectors and seals considering two different corrosivity categories of atmosphere (medium and very high);
- Increment the stability of a selective paint to increase their lifetime as selective coating for STC and for others solar energy applications (building facades, solar assisted heat pumps)
- Transfer the knowledge and increase of the laboratorial services offer to companies producing the components and STC to stimulate the internationalization and a more reliable solar thermal energy market.