The Geoscientific Information Unit (UIG) develops activity in the integrated availability and management of geoscientific contents of LNEG in digital format, as well as library services and historical archives. Its main objectives are the maintenance and development of information systems (IS) of geosciences and energy data, ensuring its preservation and streamline the search, visualization, consultation, analysis, acquisition or downloading, and dissemination. The IS enhance their use and support in research and teaching, companies, public administration, decision-making centers, public policies, and citizens in general. It is the responsibility of the UIG in its main areas of intervention:
- Manage and maintain the technological infrastructure of management and availability of geoscientific information, in order to collect and integrate the data resulting from the activity of the other R & D Units as well as technically support them in the field of Information Systems;
- Design, implement and maintain the data models necessary for the storage of geoscientific information in institutional Databases, in partnership with the other R&D Units;
- Disseminate, at a single point of access, via geoPortal, the georeferenced information and its metainformation related to the institutional activities in the fields of Energy and Geology;
- Ensure institutional compliance with the INSPIRE Directive (Directive 2007/2 / EC), in articulation with the General Directorate of the Territory (e.g. metadata, data and service interoperability, use of geographic information services, access and sharing principles, and indicators of reporting);
- To treat the various collections of documents, through the creation, updating and management of bibliographic and multimedia databases and to ensure requests for information and consultations of these collections or other information resources, as well as the maintenance and updating of scientific repository and management of scientific production.
- Integrate national and international networks, consortia and projects in the field of geoinformation, actively contributing to studies and research, and to definitions of standards and implementation of data models.